In the first half year of the SMILE project, the project team on Samsø has examined different possible solutions for the installation of renewable energy plants (wind and/or solar power) and the sizes of them to fit the project aim of the establishment of a smart grid in the Ballen Marina to fit the given load with a 200 kW BESS battery.
At the end of the year 2017 the team had agreed on the best solution being the installation of solar power at the Ballen Marina with a size variation of 30-120 kW PV. The size will depend on the political decision for new buildings at the harbour, that will provide new roof space for PV. If the project will be limited to the existing roof space on the buildings at the marina, it will be possible to install 30-40 kW PV.
Timeline for political interaction
• Technical Committee of the Council, 11.01.2018: Two cases;
o A: Orientation on the SMILE project aim and actions,
o B: Development of the southern pier at the Ballen Marina.
• Economical Committee of the Council, 16.01.2018: The same two cases as above.
➢ The committee sent back to the administration the case B because of the lack of
efficient business cases.
• Municipal Council, 23.01.2018:
o A: Orientation on the SMILE project aim and actions
➢ Orientation was accepted.
• Technical Committee of the Council, 09.02.2018:
o Re-processing of the case B
➢ Of the 5 scenarios “the Twins scenario” was recommended
(potentially 60 kW PV in total)
• Economical Committee of the Council, 20.02.2018: The same case as above.
➢ Recommendation to send all 5 scenarios in public hearing
• Municipal Council, 27.02.2018: The same case as above.
➢ Citizen meeting and a public hearing phase
• Public hearing phase (May-June)
• Public meeting about the urban development of Ballen on 04.06.2018, 70 participants